T: Rank the dishes according to the five qualities for example, if you think that you can get fat because of eating too much macaroni,-put 1. Fried potatoes may be the second for getting fat, and so on.
Oral Practice 2. Практикування учнів у спілкуванні.
Speaking about healthy food.
T: Form groups А, В, С, D and discuss your opinions about these dishes. Then, in the last line put down your favourite dish and analyse its qualities. By the way, what food is considered to be healthy? (Possible answers: it must have vitamins; minerals for your blood; proteins to help you grow; fats, but not many, to feed your muscles; carbohydrates to give you energy.)
Then, enumerate all kinds of healthy food and take turns to write them, out on the board.
Reading 3. Пред'явлення тексту для читання "І Prepare My Dinner", впр. 68 (стор. 73).
1) Pre-reading activity. Етап підготовки до читання тексту, a) Presentation of the recipe for the favourite dish.
• Introduction of problem vocabulary.
Семантизація лексики, необхідної для описання способів приготування їжі, за допомогою:
to lay the table; a (paper) - napkin;
to serve; a knife, a spoon, a fork, a table-spoon;
to clear the table; a sat-cellar;
a table-cloth; показу дій
показу дій перекладу
to cook to grate — терти
to fry to chop — рубати
to stew to mince —подрібнювати (у м'ясорубці)
to boil to skin — очищувати від шкіри
to mix to peel — знімати шкурку
to add to oil — змащувати олією
to pour to cut — різати
T: This is my favourite dish recipe.
T: Now, fix your recipes on the board so that everyone can observe. 6) Conversation about cooking.
T: Have you cooked any dishes according to the recipes?
How did you like it?
Do you like to cook?
If not, why don't you?
What is the most difficult or unpleasant for you in cooking?
2) While-reading activity. Етап власне читання тексту.
T: Read the text "I prepare my dinner" out loud and say if it is similar to the process of your preparing meals.
3) Post-reading activity. Обговорення прочитаного.
T: Do you also think it's too complicated to cook yourself?
Listening * 4. Пред'явлення тексту "The Hot Dog" для аудіювання.
1) Pre-listening activity. Етап підготовки до прослуховування тексту.
T: It's well-known that people living abroad prefer not to cook at home, but to buy so called Fast Food or go out for lunch or dinner not wasting precious time on cooking.
Perhaps, they are right.
I'm going to read you a story about Hot Dogs.
Do you happen to know why they are called so?
2) While-listening activity. Етап власне слухання тексту.
The Нот dog
In its home country of Germany, the hot dog was called the frankfurter. It was named after Frankfurt, a German city.
Frankfurters were first sold in the United States in the 1860s. Americans called frankfurters “dachshund sausages". A dachshund is a dog from Germany with a very long and short legs. "Dachshund sausage" seemed like a good name for the frankfurter.
Dachshund sausages first became popular in New York, especially at baseball games. At games they were sold by men who kept them warm in hot water tanks. As the man walked up and down the rows of people, they yelled, "Get your dachshund sausages! Get your hot dachshund sausages!" People got the sausages on buns, a special bread.
One day in 1906 a newspaper cartoonist named Tad Dorgan went to a baseball game. When he saw the men with the dachshund sausages, he got an idea for a cartoon. The next day at the newspaper office he drew a bun with a dachshund inside — not a dachshund sausage, but a dachshund. Dorgan didn't know how to spell dachshund. Under the cartoon, he wrote "Get your hot dogs!"
The cartoon was a sensation, and so was the new name. If you go to a baseball game today, you can still see sellers walking around with hot-water tanks. As they walk up and down the rows they yell, "Get your hot dogs here! Get your hot dogs!"
Look through the activities below:
1) Закінчіть речення.
1. The special bread used for a hot dog is a _________
a. sausage b. bun c. dachshund
2. Another word for TO SHOUT is to_________
a. name b. game c. yell
3. A line of objects or people is a_________
a. row b. game c. cartoon
4. Large containers for water or other liquids, sometimes made of metal, are called_________
a. tanks b. sellers c. cartoonists
5. A funny drawing is a_________
a. cartoonists b. frankfurter c. cartoon
2) Знайдіть інформацію, яка містилася в тексті.
1. Frankfurters were first sold in the United States in the 1906s.
2. A dachshund is a dog with a long body and short legs.
3. At baseball games today you cannot see sellers walking around with hot-water tanks.
4. Tad Dorgan got an idea for a cartoon in his office.
5. Tad Dorgan drew a bun with a sausage inside.
6. The words under Tad Dorgan's cartoon were "Get your hot dogs!"
Key: 1) 1b; 2с; За; 4а, 5c.
2) 2+; 6+.
T: Complete the sentences.
Tick true or false statements and while listening, try to do the first one.
Then, listen again and do ex. 2, given in (H03).
3) Post-listening activity. Переказ прослуханого тексту.
Could you reproduce this story in your native language, then in English?
After that, try to prove that a hot dog is not healthy food. Do you agree with it?
III. ЗАКЛЮЧНА ЧАСТИНА УРОКУ
Homework 1. Домашнє завдання.
T: Practise orally in translating word-combinations and sentences from ex. 67 on p. 72-73. Then, translate into English ex. 70 on p. 74 in writing.
Summarizing 2. Підбиття підсумків уроку.
T: Did you enjoy learning to cook?
What new things and new words have you learnt?
Where and when do you think you can apply the knowledge you've got at the lesson?
How to lay the table
3. bread and butter plate
4. water glass
5. wine glasses
6. cup and saucer
7. fork and knife for the fish
8. fork and knife for the main (meat) course
9. butter knife
10. fork for dessert
11. spoon for dessert
12. spoon for soup